- Blizzard ha commissionato la statua alla WETA;
- Il soggetto è stato disegnato da Nick Carpenter, Sam Didier e Glenn Rane;
- La statuetta originale, alta circa 12 pollici, è stata inviata alla WETA, che l'ha scannerizzata e virtualizzata in Nuova Zelanda, per poi produrla in Cina;
- È servito un anno di lavoro per terminare la statua;
- In seguito, la statua, divisa in due pezzi dotati di una chiusura meccanica, è stata inviata ad Irvine;
- Il bronzo usato è ad alto contenuto di rame, che dona la sfumatura rossiccia al metallo grezzo;
- L'opera è circondata da una bussola runica che indica gli otto valori fondanti di Blizzard;
- E, come ben ricorderete, una versione ridotta della statua è stata inviata ai giocatori più fedeli di World of Warcraft.
Blizzard Entertainment ha scritto
When visitors pass through the gates of Blizzard's office campus in Irvine, they immediately gravitate toward the Orc statue! A dear hero in Blizzard’s heart, the statue is a popular spot for:
- Meeting people ("Let's meet at the Orc statue!")
- Posts on social media
- Symbolic events; passionate founder speeches often take place in front of the Orc
- Holiday community projects
- 1 trillion photos and selfies*
*Actually: only a billion
The Orc Statue
"Create a larger-than-life sculpture of a fearsome wolf-mounted orc warrior from Warcraft;" that was the challenge Blizzard presented to New Zealand-based Weta Workshop.
Blizzard worked closely with Weta artisans in New Zealand and China to turn the small prototype into a bronze behemoth.
After over a year of intense work, the 12 foot tall, 2 ton bronze orc warrior now stands watch in the courtyard of Blizzard Entertainment’s Irvine campus.
First Thing’s First: Modeling
A team in New Zealand scanned the original 12-inch tall statuette and created a virtual 3D model
Up Next: Details, Details, Details
The 3D model was then sent to a manufacturing center in China, where the artists sculpted, molded, cast, waxed, bronzed, welded, and buffed to turn the virtual presentation into a 12 foot tall statue.
Last, but Not Least: Delivery
The massive sculpture was transported from China to Irvine using a custom-built steel dolly and shipping container, and set into place with a crane.
- The sculpture was designed with a mechanical connection so it could be separated into two pieces to be transported.
- The sculpture is made of high-copper bronze, which is why the raw metal has a salmon pink color.
- The statue in Irvine is surrounded by a runed compass with Blizzard's eight core values at its points.
- Blizzard also awarded a version of this statue to World of Warcraft players who had been playing for ten years to celebrate the game's 10 year anniversary.
Orc and Wolf Statue Credits
Designed by: Nick Carpenter, Sam Didier, and Glenn Rane
Sculpted by: Eden Small, Richard Taylor, and Daniel Cockersell
Manufactured by: WETA limited